- Tune out your own thoughts and feelings.
- Turn off the radio, TV or computer
- Face the person, give him/her your full attention and keep eye contact (if appropriate).
- Tune in to what the other person is saying and feeling.
- Give feedback to the other person about your understanding of what s/he is saying and feeling.
As a good Active Listener, you DON'T WANT to:
- Talk about yourself.
- Change the subject.
- Keep glancing around the room or looking at your watch.
- Tell the other person that a similar thing happened to you.
- Act like you understand what a person is saying or feeling when you really don't.
- Use any of the 12 Roadblocks.
*Excerpt from Dr. Thomas Gordon's F.E.T. Young Adult Resource Book